On-site Preschool Rehabilitation Services – Bridge-Integrated Education Service
Hong Kong Christian Service (HKCS) has been subsidised by the Social Welfare Department (SWD) for the “Pilot Scheme on On-site Preschool Rehabilitation Services (OPRS)" since 2015. Starting from the regularisation of OPRS by SWD in the fourth quarter of 2018, HKCS operates 4 teams, named "Bridge Integrated Education Service (BIES)".
Our transdisciplinary teams serve children with special needs in participating kindergartens (KGs) and kindergarten-cum-child care centres (KG-cum-CCCs), together with parents and teachers. We help kindergartens create inclusive learning environments so that children with special needs can better integrate into schooling environment and community life, and lay a solid foundation for future development and learning.
- Promote children’s holistic development in physical fitness, fine motor skills, cognition, language, self-care and social-emotions.
- Enhance preschool teachers’ knowledge and skills to identify, teach and nurture children with special needs.
- Equip parents and family members with the necessary knowledge and skills for nurturing their children’s development.
Target Service Users
Children with mild disabilities aged below 6 attending the participating KGs or KG-cum-CCCs; and
- Children who are on the waiting list of Social Welfare Department (SWD)’s central referral system (i.e. who have been assessed by recognised authority/person); or
- Children who are waiting for assessment service of the Department of Health or Hospital Authority (if there is vacancy, provided that the number of these children will not exceed 10% of the team’s service capacity).
Teachers/child care workers and parents/carers of the above children.
- Application can be made via referrals by social workers of Child Assessment Centres of Department of Health or Hospital Authority or relevant staff of rehabilitation service units to the Central Referral System for Rehabilitation Services of the SWD; or
- After the child has undergone assessment by recognised authority/person, application can be made via referrals by social workers of Integrated Family Service Centres to the Central Referral System for Rehabilitation Services of the SWD.
Parents who want to withdraw from the services must notify our project teams in writing and complete the related procedures one month in advance.
When the child withdraws school placement from a participating KG or KG-cum-CCC, a written notice to our project teams must be given with all related procedures completed. We will terminate the provision of services to children under the following circumstances:
- The child reaches the first 1st September after attaining the age of 6
- The child promotes to Primary School
- The child’s overall ability is consistent with the development stage of his/her age.
- The child decides to use other forms of SWD-subvented preschool rehabilitation services.
|Monday to Friday
||9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Scope of Services
- For children with special needs
- Periodic developmental assessments and review on training progress
- On-site individual, group, class-based training and therapy
- Centre-based training at service units equipped with rehabilitation facilities
- For teachers and child care workers
- On-site professional consultation services and demonstrations
- Professional talks, workshops, seminars, etc.
- For parents and carers
- Talks, workshops and seminars, etc.
- Review sessions for "Individual Training Plans"
- Individual or family counselling and support
- Resource library for training materials
- Inclusive programmes for schools and parents
- Hotline Consultation
- District-based centres’ supportive services
- Programmes of Chih Ai Parents’ Association
- Utilises a holistic, systematic and school-based curriculum approach for supporting children with special needs
- Renders an early intervention and rehabilitation service via transdisciplinary team consisting of:
- Educational psychologists
- Speech therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Special child care workers
- Social workers
There is no charge for basic services.